Re: [OM] Knesss, was IMG: Friday Flower from Jim N.

Subject: Re: [OM] Knesss, was IMG: Friday Flower from Jim N.
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 01:03:29 -0200
Dentists have an easy life - amoxycilin is still useful for anything
they do ..., inexpensive and still effective.
Of course, if you get a massive 2500 / 3750mg single dose p.o. ( ...
!?) diarrhea is only a natural consequence, but easy to deal with.

2009/11/20 Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> When
> visiting the UK I discovered that they weren't doing it there  as
> there had been cases of anaphylactic reactions to the penicillin
> substitute - sounds daft to me. Without a previous history, I'd rather
> risk a very faint possibility of anaphylactic shock rather than an
> infected steel knee.

Absolutely, but in the UK the prescription of antibiotics is highly
regulated, or so I was told.
Anaphilaxis using amoxycilin? ... as with ampicilin, I've heard of one
case, long ago in her youth ... .

> You take about 5 caps of Amoxycillin or similar one hour before - the
> timing is crucial apparently.

5 caps of 250, 500 or 750 mg? - amoxycilin has a mean life of 8 hours.
I've preferred myself to take 500mg every 8 hours for a week since
before going to a dentist, but 250 may be more than enough.
Never suffered any back-side effect this way, but neither do I have a
replaced knee / valve so far.
Cannot think of any advantage of a single massive dose, find it more
sensible to cover yourself say, from five days before and five to
seven days after _if I had a prothesis in my body, specially in the
bones_, but better ask your doctor since, at least here, they tend to
forget about dentists.
If it's intended to kill Staphylococus to prevent anything certainly
worse, it would make more sense to me, but amoxycilin is useless here.

Fernando.

(.... yes, both my father and mother were dentists)