Re: [OM] Replacements for Oly BLM-1 Batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Replacements for Oly BLM-1 Batteries
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:37:05 -0500
The fact that a lithium-ion battery "works" under normal circumstances
should be no consolation.  The problems come about if the thing should
get short circuited or overcharged (as might happen when leaving it in
the charger overnight) From the review:
On the discharge test the control board battery voltage monitor IC did
eventually cut the pack off completely but it clearly had some problems
switching the pack off as the expanded discharge graph shows. It
eventually operated at about 3.65 volts. This is quite low, and gives
questionable protection for the pack. As with many lowest-cost packs
there is no polyfuse for protection against short circuits, a lamentable
omission. The charge control device is not a proper thermistor but just
a resistor on the end-mounted PCB.
In other words a potential fire or explosion hazard.  There's a reason
why reputable lithium ion batteries don't sell for $5.

Chuck Norcutt