Re: [OM] [OT] Just a reminder

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Just a reminder
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:20:00 -0800 (PST)
You aren't suddenly going to start counting this as a foreign relations
experience and announce your presidential candidacy, are you?

Boris

P.S. Huh? Here:
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/09/26/palin_defends_remark_on_russia/

Re: [OM] [OT] Just a reminder

From:
Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:01:32 -0600

> We just took blankets and binoculars.  Laying there, listening to nothing
> but the bells, the waves and the wind is one of the happiest times in our
> lives.  My son still talks about it.

I grew up just a few minutes from Lake Michigan. I've spent many, many
evenings sitting in the sand listening to the waves lap the shoreline, the
buoy's bells ringing and occasionally the fog horn. In fact, every spring,
the sound of the fog horn was nearly ever present and you could hear it
clearly in town. If a westerly wind was strong enough, multiple buoys would
be ringing and that sound carried for miles too. Most special times and I
can hear those sounds in my mental MP3 player right now. These are the
sounds of my childhood--one of the first memories of sounds are those bells
and the horn.

But, whenever I get to an ocean coastline there is just something different
about it.  Not only do you have the sights and the sounds, but you have the
smells. The ocean has a different smell than the Great Lakes.  And then
there is one other thing--the knowledge that even as I am looking out at the
horizon towards countries unknown, there are people in those countries
looking out at the horizon back towards me. It fascinates me to know that we
are both separated by, and connected by this one body of water.

AG (getting all philosophical) Schnozz