Re: [OM] OT: Video with primes on Canyon

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Video with primes on Canyon
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:35:09 +0100
Hi Chuck and all,

From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>I hadn't thought about the frame rate for an FP shutter and will agree
>that you must be correct.  So, what is the shutter?  An on-chip
>electronic unit ala Mynolta A1 and other P&S cameras?  What does that
>imply for future flash sync speeds in live-view mode?

P&S cameras usually add a small leaf shutter -- I presume the A1 does the
same.

The idea of an "electronically shuttered" CCD (or CMOS) sensor is not news,
videocameras have been doing that for "decades". But dynamic range
decreases, and some flaws (like the vertical bands seen at very bright
spots) become much more noticeable.

I can see all of these flaws in the live view of my GF1, but they all
disappear when reviewing (chimping time!) the taken picture. That's why the
new micro-4/3 cameras need that weird shutter action: close (and reset the
sensor) - open (and start integrating) - close after exposure (and transfer
the image) - open again (to restore live view)

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)