Re: [OM] Speaking of paradigms [was The fate of the Universe [was IMG: F

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of paradigms [was The fate of the Universe [was IMG: Friday Flower, sort of ...]]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:43:36 -0800
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Depends on the because.

Because it does. No antecedents, no explanations.

Heard the one about the testing of Shroedinger's cat?

Some grad students at a Uni decided to actually put it to the test. When
they opened the box, it was full of caramel corn. No sign of the
original contents, not so much as a cat hair.

They tried it several more times, always with the same result.

One of them was talking with a visiting Hindu guru and described the
experiment and the puzzling results. He said "I'd prefer peanuts", went
into the lab with them, opened the latest box, took a handful of the
peanuts and started eating them as he walked off.

A physics professor walked by, saw the box of peanuts, grabbed a handful
and remarked as he popped a few in his mouth "I wondered how long until
the wave function collapsed the other way. I've never liked caramel corn."

> There are different forms of logic of course. It's not too hard to prove,
> logically, that nothing exists in any real sense in the material world.

AG, you may want to skip this part.
----------------------------------

That being the case, there is no current life, no death and the question
of after-life becomes moot. Unless, of course, Woody Allen in in the
room and makes a joke about how he had expected more.

But if the conscious ego seems to be experiencing life where there is
none, does that mean that, although the current sense of existence is
false, the consciousness does, in fact, exist elsewhere/when, in some
way of which it is not currently aware?  It is, as you know, a premise
of some non-Western spiritual beliefs that this material world is just a
dream from which we will wake up.

I often prefer to consider the material world as like an amusement park.
When someone dies, they wake up, say something like "Wow! What a rush!"
and run to get in line for the next ride. Instead of buckling a seat
belt or pulling down a safety bar, they take a drink of water from the
River Lethe before the ride can start. Me and Playdoh - and it appears,
perhaps Heidegger*, although they are both a bit serious for my dream.

OmmmmmMoose

* Wheee, almost full circle to Nietzsche, Fernando. :-)