Re: [OM] ( OM ) Sharpening digital images

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Sharpening digital images
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 23:22:54 +0800
The degree of sharpening is very depending on the camera, Olympus require
more due to the strong AA filter. 5D II has a weaker AA filter (I heard the
5D is even weaker) so it require less and in most cases I just avoid sharpen
the image to reduce the artifacts - such as halo and change of relative
brightness of micro details. Sharpening and LCE will affect the original
mood of the image so I will limit them to minimum.

For sharpen between resize, I remember we had a discussion before, this is
especially useful for soft image such as the one due to focus shift, I had
lots of problem with the E-1 and E-300 event shots. For those problem images
I will apply a strong sharpen at the orignal size before performing resize
(or more than one time between each resize step), this will reduce the
sharpening artifact when compared to applying the sharpen on the final
stage. For Brian's sample, I remember it was also helpful to avoid using
sharpen on the final stage in order to reduce the jaggies.

C.H.Ling