Re: [OM] film scanning [was I have antz in my pantz with this A/Vhell...

Subject: Re: [OM] film scanning [was I have antz in my pantz with this A/Vhell...]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:36:40 -0600

> However, I _think_ that using a camera for "scanning" the slides allows to
> get much more shadow detail by using a much longer exposure -- at the
> expense of highlights, of course. This way is possible to make some sort of
> HDR pic from the same slide.

I expose slides 1/3 stop higher than I used to for scanning purposes. Neg
films I still shoot near the rated speed.

I've personally found it critical to expose neg films as close to normal as
possible because the response curves usually have very short straight-line
sections. If you over or under-expose the films, you end up shoving too much
dynamic range into a narrow, compressed part of the curve.

AG