Re: [OM] Geocoding images

Subject: Re: [OM] Geocoding images
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 09:19:16 -0800

> I don't use the info in the backcountry. I record the GPS data and then
> upload the file to the computer when I am at home. The info is then
> matched to the photos. This is one of the reasons I am interested in a
> smaller device than the Garmin.
I've been trying out the Magellan Triton 500 which I picked up at
Costco. It is very small, almost too small as the buttons are difficult
with gloves. It will take standard topo's from Nat'l G rather than the
very expensive proprietary maps necessary from Garmin. I now have topo's
of most of the PacNW on SD cards. Considering the cost of unit + mapping
software it is hundreds of $$ cheaper than the Garmin. And it is smaller
than units without mapping capability.

> Navigation in the wilderness is to critical to be trusted to any
> electronic device. Thommens Altimeter and a Suunto compass for me!

Ditto except for a Gischard altimeter.  :-) A gps is nice to have though
especially for the ability to back track in poor visibility. I also find
it useful in navigating the maze of dirt tracks in the Eastside desert
which is lacking identifiable (by me) landmarks.
> Interesting, but limited. Unlike off road GPSs and trackers like the
> I-gotU, it looks to be only a GPS receiver, of no use whatsoever unless
> attached to a laptop. The I-gotU may be used in that dumb mode, too.

Yes, receiver only. Lacking the memory for tracking.

Mike