Re: [OM] Geocoding images [was A Few From Acadia National

Subject: Re: [OM] Geocoding images [was A Few From Acadia National
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 09:56:31 -0600
Just last night I got to give my GPS a good workout. There is a forest and
prairie reconstruction site not far from home which I go hike in
occasionally. In fact, our Iowa Zuikofest met there on our last stop of the
day.  It's over 500 acres of undergrowth once you get away from the prairie
portion...

Well, I hit the trailhead about 10 minutes before sunset and walked,
according to the GPS, about a mile. It was getting dark and I loath
backtracking, but discovered some new bushwacked trails heading back in the
general direction of the trailhead.  Some of this was through dense
undergrowth. Well, I took off down the new trail and promptly had no idea
where I was, but hoped the trail would continue going west.

It didn't.

It curved a bit and ended up not where I expected it to come out. But,
glancing at the GPS, I was able to figure out where I was and when I came to
a fork in the trail, I was able to go the correct way. I KNEW I was supposed
to go the other way, but the GPS indicated I needed to turn right.  By now
it is quite dark and I'm sloshing through streams and such, but after 10
more minutes I made it back to the trailhead.  I was a little bit perturbed
because they let the trail I was expecting to be there go wild and they
carved new trails instead.

I would have eventually figured it out, and could have just backtracked, but
it would have been another hour and a couple twisted ankles as I would have
needed to use my cellphone for a flashlight.

Oh, I flushed a deer (acutally, many deer and a couple of wild turkeys that
when they launched I almost had a undergarment disaster) that ran up to a
ridge about 200 meters ahead of me.  Too dark to see it running up the hill
but when it reached the top it bounded up and over in such a way that it was
completely sillouhetted against the sky in this perfect leaping pose.  Way
cool!

AG