Re: [OM] Couple vertical panoramics

Subject: Re: [OM] Couple vertical panoramics
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 06:08:54 -0400
I don't know anything about the Sony but it appears that Panasonic has
finally conquered the performance problem of contrast detect autofocus
(used in non-SLR cameras or some SLRs when in live view mode... those
that can focus without dropping the mirror)

Starting with the G1 micro 4/3 Panasonic has totally new contrast detect
autofocus algorithms and a speedy processor.  DPReview's comments:
Contrast Detect AF

Aside from the viewfinder, our biggest worry about the viability of the
G1 - and all non-reflex interchangeable lens cameras - is the reliance
on sensor-based contrast detect autofocus. Our experiences so far - with
the live view modes on current DSLRs - haven't been promising; all are
painfully slow and most are close to unusable for any non-static subject.

When we visited Panasonic in Osaka last year to talk about the
development of Micro Four Thirds and the G1 we were assured that our
concerns would be unfounded; this is a system designed from first
principles on the basis of live view only operation, and a lot of work
has gone into the design of new contrast detect focus algorithms. This,
we were told, along with the extra processing power of the new Venus HD
engine, would mean contrast detect AF that was at least as fast as
current entry-level digital SLRs using the traditional phase detect AF.

The good news is that Panasonic's engineers have kept true to their
word; the focus is not only astonishingly fast for a contrast detect
system; it's easily as fast as any conventional SLR in this class. And
unlike even most mid-range SLRs you get 23 area auto AF and the ability
to place a single AF point almost anywhere in the frame - and that's
before you throw in Panasonic's remarkable subject tracking AF and Face
Detection. Panasonic seems to have overcome the main problem currently
associated with using live view on an SLR; focus speed.

Chuck Norcutt