Re: [OM] An impressive shot

Subject: Re: [OM] An impressive shot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 01:00:14 -0700
Michael Wong wrote:
> Thanks, Moose. Very detail.
>
> May you tell me more how to do that as below:-
> 4) What is LCE? A function or a plugin of PS?

LCE stands for Local Contrast Enhancement, although various raw
converters and editors have recently included versions with names like
vibrance and such.

It is an application of UnSharp Masking, USM with setting quite
different than those used for conventional sharpening. (You might be
interested to know that USM is an extension of a physical process from
the wet darkroom into the digital realm.)

A typical USM setting for LCE is Amount: 20%, Radius: 50 pixels,
Threshold: 0. It takes a bit of practice to have a good idea where it
will help. With many images, it's like a veil of gauze has been removed.
With some it has little useful effect and with others, especially, for
example peoples faces, it can have a negative effect.

> 6) How to odge & burn in digital?

Use the Dodge and Burn Tools, of course.  :-)   In PS, they are simply
named that. They are circles you move with the mouse. Size, edge
softness and amount of effect are controllable. Pretty easy to use with
a little practice. And - if you overdo one, you can just undo it, you
don't have to develop, check, then redo.

Moose