Re: [OM] Wet Print Exchange

Subject: Re: [OM] Wet Print Exchange
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:45:54 -0700
Richard Man wrote:
> Come on Moose, I'm sure you can rent darkroom time somewhere in the People's
> Republic of Berkeley! :-)

Sure could, at Looking Glass Photo, if nowhere else. Not happening.

I spent what seemed to me to be a lot of time in darkrooms both in
college and in one that I had built as part of a much larger project at
work many years ago.

I was never able to achieve the results I envisioned and found the whole
process unfulfilling. And that was only B&W. I wanted to do color, too,
and that was simply prohibitive for me at the time. I did try one of
those simple, cheap, little roll processors for R paper from slides. Not
awful, but a lot of fuss for limited results.

When an old PS limited edition came with my first photo printer, I
discovered that the darkroom I'd dreamed of all those years ago was
digital and operated via my computer.

I fully understand that there are those for whom time spent in the
darkroom may be not only fulfilling, but perhaps even their equivalent
of meditation. I also know that there are many photographers for whom
time spent in the digital darkroom is unpleasant work that gets in the
way of their path to a finished product.

They aren't me. :-)

Moose