Re: [OM] Exposure Was: raw vs JPG Was:No E-System pro camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Exposure Was: raw vs JPG Was:No E-System pro camera
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 21:22:06 +1100
I'm pretty simplistic when it comes to exposure/whitebalance, I reckon I got
on alright for years shooting daylight colour transparency film - no cc
filters in daylight, 80A filter for tungsten.

All you need to do is set the white balance on your E-? to daylight (*
symbol) in daylight and to the tungsten or fluorescent symbol for
tungsten/fluorescent light indoors.  That will get you so close to the "ball
park" on WB that all you need to do is a minor tweak in post processing.
Custom white balance is a waste of time when you're shooting, if you really
need to get accurate colour balance then shoot a grey card and adjust in
post processing.

As for exposure, set your E-? display so it shows the blown highlights, then
decide what you do about it after the first shot.  Either accept that the
highlights will be blown (e.g. when shooting a backlit portrait), or adjust
the exposure so the highlights aren't blown (e.g. for a landscape).  If the
IMPORTANT highlights haven't saturated the sensor then that's about the best
you can do, try to recover shadows in post processing if they're also
important.

...Wayne

Wayne Harridge
http://lrh.structuregraphs.com/