Re: [OM] ( OM ) Filters for digital

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Filters for digital
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:34:04 +0200
I don't fully agree with your statement, and *especialy* with the
limited DR and higher noise of four
thirds bodies. By optically taming dynamic range, or improving
colour / contrast, you are not stuck
with all sorts of noise artifacts which may appear when you expose in
such a manner to preserve details
in the sky.

I must admit, when I shot digital, I used to always correct in post
processing, but  even with a C*non
1D MkIIN, which has vastly better DR and lower image noise than any
four thirds body I've yet seen, I still
ended up with many images which appear pleasing, but which fall apart
if you look at any of the shadow
details closely.

And this was with very clean RAW files containing 10+ stops of
information. Now, with me using colour slide
film with about 5 stops, I have no choice but to correct optically,
but am rewarded with images of
much better quality.

Simple example: This image has a dynamic range of well over 10 stops,
i.e. sky looking straight into the sun,
and a very very dark valley at the bottom of a waterfall. By exposing
for lighting in-between the
highlights and the shadows, and by using a 2-stop grad ND filter, I
have produced an image with clean
detail everywhere (except for the stupid ND filter producing a
secondary sun reflection) and I imagine
that this sort fo thing will greatly benefit any digital shot as well.

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/191/b/1/Berlin_Falls_by_philosomatographer.jpg

Only with cameras in the Nikon D3-class and better (i.e. many Medium
Format Digital Backs) would I be
comfortable in pushing shadows as much as what you are claiming. Sure,
it's possible, but image quality will
suffer...