Re: [OM] What are wordings to identify own family & all families of brot

Subject: Re: [OM] What are wordings to identify own family & all families of brother & sister? [Was: A new born baby]
From: khen lim <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 14:48:21 +0800
I think so, Michael.I have similar problems because turning a Chinese word
into English can be as problematic as doing it in reverse. The English
language utilises a single word 'family' but if you want to include
relatives beyond your siblings and parents, you might want to say, 'greater
family' as in Greater Melbourne to define a city locus that includes every
single suburb all the way to its rural boundaries.

As you are obviously aware, the specific extent by which the Chinese go to
in defining a relative's position to you is almost unprecedented. In
Cantonese, I know this much:

Ah Por: mom's mother (grandmother)
Ah Ma: dad's mother (grandmother)
Ah Koong: mom's father (grandfather)
Ah Yeh: dad's father (grandfather)
Tye Yee Ma: mom's elder sister
Sum Yee: mom's third sister
Koo Ma: dad's sister
Piu Chair: cousin sister
Piu Kor: cousin brother

I also understand that Piu Chair and Pui Kor can also be used to refer to
someone of our own generation (with respect) but someone older.

In English, it is not so clear cut. Despite my decades of living overseas -
primarily Australia - the family terminology remains confusing to me. For
example, 'third cousin removed' has no meaning to me although I'd still love
to find out how it works. I'm not sure what the word 'removed' means here.

I know I have probably added to your confusion now, Michael! Sorry!!!

My apologies for assuming wrongly that Tracy is your little girl and that
charming lady in the photo is your wife! No doubt your wife must be just as
if not more charming!  :)

K.

2009/10/16 Michael Wong <mialop@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> As this thread, I made a mistake to use incorrect wording to describe the
> baby of my family. First, it's my nephew's baby. Originally I wish to said
> "a new baby in my families (include all families of my brother, my
> brother-in-law, sister-in-law). In Chinese, there are 2 wordings to
> identify
> own family & all families. I am confusing how to describe them separately.
> Is "relatives" good for description of families other than my own family?
>

> Thanks.
>

> ---
> Michel
> --

Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people” - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney