[OM] Hi, I'm Moose and I ... [was Parker 51]

Subject: [OM] Hi, I'm Moose and I ... [was Parker 51]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 02:43:23 -0700
SwissPace wrote:
> I know I am coming into this thread a bit late ...

As the thread won't die, I suppose I might as well make my own confession.

First, a definition of terms that may not fit the dictionary.

I think I may call myself a collector of OM gear, as there has been a
general plan to the acquisition over the years and I have an inventory
of sorts of the major bits.

With pens, I've been an accumulator for most of my adult life, although
in fits and starts. No plan, no organization, the occasional surprise as
one surfaces that I didn't remember having and puzzlement when I can't
find one I'm sure I had.

I've gone through phases of looking for the perfect writing instrument
and others of buying what has a visual and/or tactile appeal to me.

Of those mentioned already, I have a Parker 51, probably 50s, that works
fine and writes well, a couple of 75s. both beautiful and one a great
writer. I have a few Sheaffers, from a 50s snorkel, which works but I
don't like much for writing, through a smaller, cartridge repro of the
early big, lever fill ones, very smoooth, and a recent, pointy ended,
brown fleck model.

Several Montblancs. I tend to agree with Bob that they are overrated as
to actual construction quality. The giant cigar type has an amazing nib,
but a design flaw that lets it break and leak easily - feh. A few from
the 60-70s with a look I like, but less than first rate materials and
construction. One much older one that writes beautifully when dipped,
but needs the piston filler mechanism fixed.

I've always meant to get a good Pelican, but somehow the
appearance/price ratio has never been right. The steel nibbed student
model I have is a terrific value, a very smooth writer, if a bit boring,
as it's stiff.

Both an early disappearing point and later brown fleck models of Namiki
are excellent writers.

I may have more Watermans than anything else. Quite a range of sizes,
shapes and nib qualities. The pretty, simple gold one from the 60s never
wrote all that well, then the plastic piece that holds everything
together cracked. Some are very nice. I suppose the prize is the
engraved surface "Opera" design fountain and ballpoint set.

My current favorite in my pocket is a HERO from China. Gold plated cap
and tailpiece, gray pearlescent body and a hooded point similar to the
Parker 51. It manages to combine a pretty fine point for practical uses
like making lists and noting photo data with smooth writing.

Lots of other odds and ends, of course.

My current favorite daily use ink is Noodler's "Nightshade". Black at
first, sometimes second, glance, but coming toward black from deep
red/purple, rather than having the more common gray, blue or other
shades. Nice and smooth, with little bleeding in the papers I use, it
suits me very well at the moment.

I also use Parker Quink, Waterman and Lamy blacks, Pelikan Royal Blue
and Herbin Diabolo Menthe green. For brown, the Herbin perfumed Tabac is
fun, but I prefer the look of Waterman Havane. I'm lucky to have a local
shop that stocks quite a few inks and maintains a sample book they make
themselves. One can see actual samples on paper and take a dip sample of
any ink in stock. Much better than any brochures or online color samples.

An Inky Moose