Re: [OM] Gettin' chippy [was Who is Training Whom? [was Who, is Training

Subject: Re: [OM] Gettin' chippy [was Who is Training Whom? [was Who, is Training Who?]]
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:15:15 -0700
Eastern Oregon resident.

http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/E%20OR/Oct08/chip135.JPG

Interestingly enough here on our island flying squirrels have been
reported in this neighborhood but I have yet to see one. They are
typically found in climax old growth (hemlock) on the mainland. The big
trees long gone here to make lumber and to fuel the lime kilns. Never
were many hemlocks, too dry. One neighboring island has a population of
imported grey squirrels which out compete the locals. Another has native
red squirrels and chipmunks. No island separated by more than a mile or two.

Mike