Re: [OM] adjusting the 24 shift mechanism

Subject: Re: [OM] adjusting the 24 shift mechanism
From: iwert bernakiewicz <zuikooh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:59:43 +0200
Hello John and Brian,

I adjusted the 24 shift yesterday. It has a completely different
system from the 35 shift.
The horizontal shift friction can be adjusted by 4 screws. These can
be reached when looking from the back
and doing a full up and down shift. There are 2 screws visible in the
felt pad. A light turn will adjust the friction.
Don't turn to tight, because there won't be any shift possible anymore.

The vertical shift is done the same way, but looking from the front. A
total shift left & right will reveal
4 similar screws when pulling out the thin metal light baffle. These
screws are more difficult to reach because the lens
becomes wider to the front, and it is impossible to keep the
screwdriver perpendicular to the screw heads.

I also found that the outer wedge keeping the vertical shift was very
slightly loose. The only way to tighten these screws is removing the
back element
to allow for more shift. I did not do this! I tried to tighten the
visible quarter of the screw with a very strong and small
screwdriver in little turns, and this worked as well...

In hindsight it is logical the 24 uses a different scheme. The amount
and weight of the shifted part is very much heavier
than the 35 mm lens. Using the same mechanism would simply not work.

The lens feels much better now!

Iwert