[OM] A new toy.

Subject: [OM] A new toy.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 17:29:54 -0700
One of our friends in New England uses me as the dumping ground for odd
bits of techie stuff she no longer wants, buts would prefer to give to
someone she imagines will use, or at least enjoy them.

A couple of years ago, it was two Oly cameras, a Stylus 35-70 and a
D-460. This year it is a lens diopter measuring gauge.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=LensGauge.jpg>

She was at one time an optician, but no longer. And I suppose they
aren't much use nowadays in that job, anyway.

I have no practical need for it, but love having it. It helps keep the
old fashioned techie who keeps a mechanical stop watch on his desk and
plays with mechanical cameras happy. Another beautifully made mechanical
device. :-)

Fun to play with. I have, for reasons not clear to me*, a set of 37mm
close-up lenses. The front surface of the +1 is +5 diopters and the back
surface -4, for a net of +1 diopter.

Then the "No. 1" of a set of Vivitar C-U lenses is about +5.1 and -4.4.
for a net of +0.7 diopter and the "No. 3" is +2.6 diopter.

The brass mounted magnifying glass in my desk drawer is +2.6 on each
side, total +5.2, so a focal length of ~200 mm.

Moose

* Aha! For the video camera.