Re: [OM] [OT] Yet another printer tread...

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Yet another printer tread...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 08:34:39 -0400
I don't have any specific recommendations but I do check the Epson
Clearance Center from time to time looking for refub'd bargains.
This link gets you to all the products
<http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyEpson/ccHome.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=0>
and this one is just to the ink jet printers
<http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyEpson/ccProductCategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-13267>

Epson "Work Force" printers are not photo quality.  For that you want a
printer with "Stylus Photo" in the name.  I don't believe you can find a
large format (13x19") for $150 but you can come close.  This Stylus
Photo 1400 is selling for $179 with free shipping.
<http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63072161>
I've been tempted to buy this myself and especially since it can print
on CDs and DVDs.  But I have been holding out for a more expensive
pigment ink printer.  The 1400 uses Epson's Claria dye inks.  But I
think your Canon 900 also used dye inks so maybe you'd be happy with
this one.

You can find Vincent Oliver's review of the 1400 here
<http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%201400/Page_1.html>
As you can tell from his conclusion page
<http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%201400/Page_10.html>
he was quite happy with the results but thinks the ink cartridges are on
the small side for a printer that makes very large prints.

The refurb'd stuff you find on Epson's clearance center pages varies
from day to day but the 1400 shows up fairly frequently.  That could
mean that it's not very robust or that they've sold lots of them.  I
think the latter since Oliver comments that it appears very well made.

Chuck Norcutt