Re: [OM] Pentamirror vs. pentaprism

Subject: Re: [OM] Pentamirror vs. pentaprism
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 20:16:54 -0500
On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Chuck Norcutt
<chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since I now live in the hinterlands with no camera store within less
> than a 75-100 mile drive I don't get a chance to see or handle any of
> these things.  My question is have any of you ever directly compared the
> viewfinder of the E-620 and E-30.  Do these specifications have any
> practical meaning?  Is the E-620 viewfinder anywhere near as good as the
> E-30 as the numbers seem to indicate?  Can a pentamirror really compete
> with a pentaprism?

You know, I was shooting yesterday with the E-3, which I think beats
the E-30 in these respects.  Then today I was out all day shooting
with OM-4 and used the E-410 for digital backup (though I shot a lot
more with the backup than the OM-4).

I don't fall down on the ground gasping for air when I move from OM-4
to E-410.  If I compare the E-410 with the E-30, it is obvious to me
that the VF is larger on the E-3, but it's no big deal.  All three
cameras are different but very enjoyable to use.  The E-410 actually
has quite a bit of contrast and color separation -- far greater than
the OM-4.  Perhaps some sort of smoke and mirrors or coatings on the
internals.

I suspect you might be trying to fix something that ain't broke as far
as your friend is concerned.  I suspect your first instinct to upgrade
her to a newer N is the way to go.

Joel W.