Re: [OM] (OM) once again, digital vs film

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) once again, digital vs film
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:49:04 +0200
Ken,

I've been doing some research on the issues you raise, including the
excellent
"Variable Contrast Printing" book, and all the methods, it seems, have
compromises. Anyway, I guess the (severely scratched) Apo Rodagon
enlarging lens
is good, I have never seen the focus shift. If I haven't seen it in this
test image (to test the 90/2.0 Macro, this is a 5x7in print)

http://www.deviantart.com/download/134659807/Fossil_by_philosomatographer.jpg

see crop here:

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/236/c/1/Fossil_Crop_by_philosomatographer.jpg

then I'm not going to see it anywhere, even if it's there. The crop
(done optically)
was equivalent to producing a 20x30 print or so, enlarger head way up
by the
roof. Split print, with half at full yellow, half at full magenta.

I am using a Omega Dichroic II head, and I have been very happy with
the pure black shadows i've been able to obtain with the full magenta
setting (as part of my split printing routine), it's a lot more intense
and contrasty than what the Ilford filters have been able to give me in
the past (admittedly, this was also on a different enlarger with a
different
fixed lens, and it was an above-the-lens 6x6cm filter set.)

I will revisit the below-the-lens filter set idea once I am able to
lay my
hands on a set (not so common over here in ZA) and do a proper
comparison.
But up to now, I have been surprised at the high contrast I have been
able to
get with full magenta. Much more than my filter set. Unless I've been
using an
old / faded filter set :-)

Either way, I am in a routine which I first need to perfect for a couple
of months, before slowly changing one variable at a time. It's taken me
almost a year to get here, and I am now able to get a print I am
genuinely happy
with within about 15 minutes of starting - only two small test strips
(different areas),
and in more than half of the prints the first full print is 80% as
good as what I wanted.

Then, depending on the image, I of course need to make further prints
with dodging /
burning.

I am busy working on my first print "series" - a set of 20 or so small
prints from a
"one hour, one roll" kind of project (inspired by yours, sort of) -
which I will
accompany with an article on the subject matter, as well as my
experiences of using
an OM-1 and a couple of lenses as a street camera.

It was during a recent business trip that I spent an hour in the worst
part of a
big coastal city (Durban, in Kwazulu-Natal) just watching it (and
capturing it) waking
up. The light was beautiful.

It's a lot of work, about 2 weeks to make all the images in my spare
time, and they're
not perfect, but such projects are great to force ones self technique
and discipline.

take care,
Dawid