Re: [OM] one for walt (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] one for walt (OT)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 04:37:17 +1300
Andrew Fildes wrote

> When I had a Rangie, many years ago, I did, oh yes I did.
> You always had the feeling that nothing much could thwart your progress.

Hmm; I presume yours was before the days of  extensive computerisation of
the device. ? (A statement with the function of a query)

Mine is 1996. Has several computers.  Just when you think you have
covered the legacy of all the mechanical glitches that previous deferred
maintenance and the weight of age provide, it comes up with seemingly
random electronic faults. Two this week.

Five minutes before refuelling, I stopped in a place called Cromwell to
document a burned out and ancient building. After, RR wouldn't start. When
finally it did, it drove merely 500 yards before the motor quietly and gently
ceased to function. Fortunately, this was on a level and quiet suburban
street.
Also fortunately, a new RR diagnostic garage has opened up at Wanaka, a
40 minute drive away, and equally fortunately, I did hear the radio
advertisement some months ago advertising the fact. (RR diagnostic
garages are scarce as hens' teeth here - only 3 in the South Island).
The RR diagnostic panel told me "gearbox fault". Ha. Joy - not.

To cut a long story short, I had it uplifted and trucked to Wanaka, staying the
night back with my friend who was mostly happy to see me back.

The real fault?  Either the fuel gauge or the gauge sender unit are faulty so
that when I thought I had 25% tank remaining (about 20 L) in fact I had
none.
Refuel, problem solved. Nearly $400 later :-(

Second little trick, yesterday. I called in at a plant nursery to check for
something I want. Back out to the RR, open door, key in ignition.
Alarm goes off, computer display reads "Engine immobilised".

Ha (again). This time I was ready for it. I had RTFM !  (Read the flaming
manual)
Five minutes or less with the key in the door lock, feeding in a sequence of
combination codes, and I was on my way.
Score; RR 1, BJS 1.

This RR has the skill of progress thwarting honed to the nature of a fine art.

It reminds me of a nursery-rhyme ditty which goes as follows:

There was a little girl
With a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead.

When she was good