Re: [OM] ( OM ) One 4-hours outing

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) One 4-hours outing
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 01:09:12 +1200
Chuck asked about panorama building

> The flower is quite striking.  I like the others but a couple are crying
> out for a wider view.  Have you tried any panorama building?

http://www.brianswale.com/zuikoholics/index.htm

No - I have dealt with challenges with my computer enough for the moment
and have no wish to create new ones.  The Mamiya has a 6 x 9 back. The
617 is 17 cm across.
By cropping top and bottom of the 15 & 21 mm 35mm film shots I can create
sufficient panoramic illusion for my goals.
One intention is to make images suitable for paper publishing, and that
format excludes the computer-constructed panoramas.

I realise that some of my shots have a certain starkness to them, and that is
in part intentional. They are in any case just like that. I want to record
those
cliffs and similar landscape features;  they are striking and unique, and as
far as I know, nobody else has seen in them what I do. While they may not
be suitable as stand-alone art-works, they will fit in to a body of work in a
book or similar. Some, the wildling pine trees for example, are politically
incorrect here in New Zealand, so it appeals to my mentality to make
something attractive from something widely considered non-PC. Kind of
"you can stick your opinion where the sun doesn't shine" art !!

I have just obtained permission to photograph rockfields not far from where I
sit tapping away here at 12.45am.  The only proviso is that I must stay out of
the area from 1 October until the end of week 1 November as the
landowner's Merino ewes will be giving birth to their lambs there, and are
likely to desert their lambs if disturbed. Merinos are something else - not
like
other sheep. More like goats, in mentality and behaviour. Merino sheep give
ultra-fine wool that is very valuable.
See
http://www.brianswale.com/galleries/central-otago/images/_A103641-Alex-
rockfield-450.htm
as my best shot so far of this subject - taken without permission to enter.

Many of this kind of rockfield are being greatly modified as landowners seek
to create more soil-space for grazing by removing rocks with heavy
machinery. There's something of a sense of urgency in this particular goal,
and this piece of land is conveniently alongside a main highway.

There are other shots I see as crying out to be made, of rock outcrops in
this region; but they do take quite some work to figure out the best light and
angle for the photos.

My g/f says that people won't buy this kind of photo, and perhaps she's right,
but I want to record them anyway AND I WILL make some more
conventional 'pretty-pretty' photos that may find appeal in the market-place.
I realise I should cover the field.

It is discipline that I don't object to, to work with a medium that limits the
number of exposures one may make in any period of time. One tries, no
matter how imperfectly, to get the best out of each opportunity.

Nathan succeeds brilliantly, working under another set of constraints such
as 'catching the moment' and 'not being seen to photograph', all to do with
people. People are not my thing, but I much admire good people shots.

Brian Swale.