[OM] Prolific stereo photographers

Subject: [OM] Prolific stereo photographers
From: "DrT \(George Themelis\)" <drt-3d@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 13:09:46 -0400
OK, I see I have acquired the reputation of the guy who is buying thousands
of dollars of equipment, without taking a single picture... While this is
true so far (it's only been two months) for Olympus equipment, in my "other
life" I am considered one of the most prolific film stereo photographers.

When I joined this list I mentioned that I had just come back from a week's
vacation in Orlando with 32 rolls of film (someone commented that they did
not think there is anything in Orlando worth this amount of film). I am
still working to mount these stereo slides for our stereo club, which starts
its meetings this coming Tuesday (see our web page: www.ohio3d.com, I am the
guy standing behind the stereo projector in the picture).

The problem with stereo photography is viewing.  I have no inclination to
scan my slides and put them in the web so people can do eye gymnastics to
see them in 3d.  These are best enjoyed as an individual experience in a
viewer or a group experience in stereo projection.  The internet is not very
good for stereo.  Some of my stereo pictures appear in PSA Exhibition
results when they post the pictures of the winners.  For example, in the
recent PSA Exhibition one of my pictures is at the bottom of this page:
http://www.psaexhibition.com/2009/stereo-results/2009-stereo-slide-award-images.php

But the most prolific stereo photographer of all times is unquestionably
Harold Lloyd (the famous 1920s comedian of silent movies).  In the 1950s he
discovered stereo photography and went nuts!  I happen to have one of "his"
books for sale in ebay (published by his daughter):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370251206395

As I write in this auction: "To give you an idea of how prolific stereo
photographer Harold Lloyd was, in about 20 years he kept 300,000 stereo
pairs! That's 15,000 stereo pictures a year! Assuming that he was getting 15
pairs in a roll, he was shooting 1000 rolls a year. WOW! He had his
secretary load one camera while he was shooting with another. The secretary
was also mounting many of these rolls."

Well, I don't have a secretary to change rolls and mount stereo slides for
me, so I only shoot about 200 rolls of slide film a year.  My record must be
one week in Greece, during the 2004 Olympics where I shot 110 rolls (not of
the sports events but of the atmosphere around them).  I showed a program in
the National Stereoscopic Association convention from these pictures.

My life is a bit different that yours... But eventually I will use the
Olympus equipment to take pictures!

George