Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 32: beach, wine, cycling and much else

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 32: beach, wine, cycling and much else
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:12:42 -0700
Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> Hola Carlos,
>
> Thanks for the kind words!
>
> To answer your questions: I do very little post-processing. That's why Moose
> sometimes grabs one of my images and performs his witchcraft on it ;-)

That's not the only reason. Much as I enjoy your life-a-logs in
pictures, much as I have learned from them, you are not uncommonly a
better photographer than that genre really needs. When I come across
images I'd be happy to have on my walls, I get the itch to see just how
good they might look. Once I've trid for myself, why not share?

> In the specific case of the Main, these are the steps shown in
> Lightroom:
> -Import
> -Auto Tone (I clicked on the AUTO button in the Develop module)
> - Fill Light +8
> - Crop (I cropped some of the sand at the bottom)
> - Clarity +50 (it is my standard practice to apply this, rather than unsharp
> masking)
> That's it.

Ahh, perhaps the answer is in there. I love the main selection - except
for the blown highlights. To me, the beautifully graduated tonalities in
the rest of the image cry out for equal treatment of the highlights. But
they are well and truly blown on the posted image. -1/3 EV might have
been enough to capture the highlights in RAW, I don't know about the M8.

In any case, Auto Tone might have done the clipping, or Clarity. As I
recall, Clarity is much like LCE, and LCE can indeed drive highlights
into overload. Most of my applications of LCE are preceded by a step of
lowering brightness and/or contrast slightly to avoid that. I always
check the histogram after LCE.

Alt. 3 is another that I think would look great printed up on a wall,
but I would crop it differently and add a bit of oomph by grounding the
bottom in strong dark tree trunks and adding some contrast within the
sky.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Wajsman/PAWsnPADs&image=32alt3a.jpg>

Alt 4 is, as Carlos said, "a classic theme, very well executed." Another
one that would make a great framed print.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Wajsman/PAWsnPADs&image=32alt4a.jpg>

Alt 10 - Dog? What dog?

Moose