[OM] ( OM ) cactus flower

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) cactus flower
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:06:37 +1200
Hi all,

I understand what his cactus and its flower mean to Nathan.  And I have just
read the story of his father's life, on his home page.  Cacti do have some
amazing flowers.

Without wishing to in any way  detract from what Nathan wrote, I offer a
cactus picture of my own.  Top link at
http://www.brianswale.com/zuikoholics/index.htm

This is a Tricocereus, growing on a broken-off stub. It is usually neglected,
but every year, if it gets enough sunlight, it rewards me with one enormous
flower that is about 15cm (6in) across at the opening of the bell, and maybe
twice that long.  It is at its best at about midnight of the first night of its
opening, but is still good the next day.
Grown in full sunlight on its own roots in the soil (needs very little
actually) it
has the most delicious scent.

I am not sure what I used to take this photo - I have used several methods
over the years, but to judge by the image number, I suspect it is an E-1 shot
using the 14-45 budget lens.   Enjoy.

Brian Swale.