Re: [OM] Digicam for the ages (was "Nathan's PAW 32: beach, wine, cyclin

Subject: Re: [OM] Digicam for the ages (was "Nathan's PAW 32: beach, wine, cycling and much else")
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 22:33:16 -0500
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Ken Norton<ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, the Zuikofest is Ztill on for Zaturday. Don't know about the ribZ as
> my time availabilty during the week is extremely limited thiZZ particular
> week.  RegardleZZ, I'm quite poZitive that I know how to fire up the barby
> and Hyvee is having a meat Zale this week.

I can take or leave the BBQ (no offense to True Believers).  Paul, the
new guy I hope to bring, is vegetarian, or maybe thats a
chickenoterian, so I think he can handle a porkless Saturday.  Let's
shoot!

> BTW, I still haven't been able to contact Tom Scales.  Could you see if you
> can rattle his door or cause his home landline to ring?

Is he in the book?  That's all I would have to go on.

> Anybody else coming?  We'll have a nice little outing in the Grinnell area.
> I've got a couple of locations planned out for aiming the Zuikos at.  Hiking
> shoes recommended.

Would motorcycle boots do?  Paul is a budding OMer, but he's been a
Beemer guy longer than I have.  Unless it's going to be snowing, we
were thinking of riding over yonder your way.

>  The E-1 is just sort of tolerable compared to the
> OM system.

Now, now. Your're changing the subject.

> Someday, I'd like to try the
> 28/2 as a one-lens solution as 35mm just isn't wide-enough when working
> close and 24mm is too wide, but in the meantime, the 35/2.8 seems to be the
> near-perfect balance of lens size, weight and performance while sitting
> comfortably on an OM body.

I can bring mine along (it's one of the lenses that travels with the
Beem).  I've always felt that the 28 is like a 35 with attitude.

>> I brought along the PL, thinking it would improve my photos.  Well, it
>> does and it doesn't.  It really improves clouds and sky, but it so
>> flattens foreground plants that it almost appears to mess with color.
>>

> Was this with that big 72mm PL that you bought in Des Moines?  Mine has been
> pretty similar, but my old 49mm polarizer seems to be just fine.

I wish.  I have lost that filter.  It was quite a good buy.  The PL in
question is a Hoya -- one of the more moderately priced POL-Circs I
bought specifically for the 14-54.

>> I'm equally dismayed with my results of polarized digital images.  It's
> something that I've fought and remain flummoxed. Maybe we can figure this
> out this weekend.

Unfortunately, I don't really see it until I've uploaded the ORFs and
I see them on my PC.  One thing I am going to experiment with is back
off a bit from maximum effect.

Joel W.