Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 23/08/2009: hard-working vendor

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 23/08/2009: hard-working vendor
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 17:23:45 +0100
2009/8/23 Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I have started a little project documenting the many sellers of
> sunglasses, clothes, DVD copies, drinks etc. who prowl the beaches
> during the summer. We went to the beach this afternoon, and I liked
> the interaction between the seller and a potential customer:
>
> http://www.greatpix.eu/Other/Picture-A-Day/4253606_netUM#627956326_b52vN-O-LB
> (yeah, that's it, the interaction...)

Hmm, forgive me if I seem overly critical - I certainly wouldn't want
you to stop posting your work, which I mostly enjoy, but I can't see
that there is any interaction between the main subjects here.  My
reading of this image is that the vendor is too intent on his work and
has in fact overlooked the appeal of his workplace in his efforts to
make a living.  He is, as far as I can see, behind the woman and
looking away from her, and she is looking down, presumably at
something on her beach towel and is probably unaware of him.

If I'd taken this, I think the *lack* of interaction would be the
whole point of it, a demonstration of how we can become complacent
about anything, once it becomes an everyday thing.

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer