Re: [OM] Another sunset sky from Colorado

Subject: Re: [OM] Another sunset sky from Colorado
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:42:29 -0500

> Yup, that works.  I've never tried it but my guess is that the 5D would
> have liberally sprinkled the image with colorful confetti at 2 minutes.
> :-)

There is something else in play here too.  I've worked with long exposures
enough to recognize that digital lacks the two critical flaws of film--color
shift and reciprocity failure.

I attempted this shot with Velvia, but even Velvia 100 has a nasty
reciprocity failure that caused me no end to grief.  Provia holds better in
time-exposures, but also does just enough color shifting to deepen the
colors without turning into blobs of M&Ms.

Provia has one other nifty little characteristic which I had forgotten
about.  When used for long exposures like this, highlights will compress.
The recoprocity failure is not linear and does not affect all tones equally.
This highlight compression (which Kodachrome also has) helps bring the
average exposure up without blowing out the highlights. The highlights in
this case would have busted a digital camera image and would have been
extremely difficult to have captured without getting out-of-gamut colors.

I did attempt this shot with the E-1 (for proofing purposes) and the entire
middle band of sky went white on me and the reds went yellow with red
fringes.

Trust me on this, to the naked eye, there wasn't much of any color--I could
only see just a hint of pink remaining in the clouds and it was almost black
at the zenith.  What I didn't mention is that I did edit out a couple of
star trails in this photo.

AG