Re: [OM] Leica (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Leica (OT)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 15:23:26 -0500

> I'd have thought it was their intention to compete with Hasselblad.
> Hasselblad has a 36x48 sensor or double 35mm size.

I'm not sure it is their intention to compete with anybody. What I see is
Leica producing a product that is directly aimed at one particular segment
of photographer--the photographer for which image (and I'm not talking about
the final product) is everything.

When you are a photographer in a large market that specializes in the
"carriage trade" having and promoting the fact that use Leica equipment is a
definite sell point.

Think about it--these are also the same photographers that know that you
MUST show up in a Lexus and not a Kia.  The car doesn't make them better
photographers, but when poppa is forking out $150,000 on a wedding for dear
Sally, the photographer better have good visual chops and be cultured.

Hasselblad has good name recognition among the banker class, but Leica has
REALLY good name recognition.  Phase One???????  Yeah right.

AG