Re: [OM] ( OM ) Definition of digital images

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Definition of digital images
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 00:06:45 +1200
Ken wrote

> > Many people set their E's to +2 for sharpening. Keeping the camera at
> "0"  must depend on the situation!?!
> >
> > The E-620 apparently has serious issues with sharpening.
>
> If you keep the in-camera JPEG files at "0" sharpening, you can easily
> apply noise-reduction afterwords--if at all.  +2 sharpening will
> accentuate the noise and then you end up with nasty wormy artifacts or
> worse, a general state of "this image is junk".  With both my digital
> cameras, I can shoot at much higher ISOs and do in-camera JPEG. I take
> these files, and can sharpen them with my own editor with or without
> noise-reduction (usually, just chroma noise reduction for me) and end up
> with results as good as if I shot RAW and converted in the computer.
>
> One thing Olympus has really done right--more right than most
> companies--especially the big "C", is that the in-camera JPEGs really are
> usable for professional purposes.
>
> AG

I discussed this with the guy who runs the photo lab at he camera shop I
use. He has also been a professional photographer in a former life, shooting
Hassys.

He said he doesn't like to use the 'sharpen' tool at all, but shoots RAW and
'sharpens' his images by making the red, blue, green curves coincide. At
least that is what I think I heard him say.

Brian Swale.