Re: [OM] Speaking of vacations [was This looks like a deal ...}

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of vacations [was This looks like a deal ...}
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 17:05:40 -0700
Wayne Harridge wrote:

> Cut the maintenance budget and provide dodgy food !

One of the good things about Virgin America to date is that it's a
start-up and the aircraft are all new.

We mostly bring our own food nowadays, with most economy fares not
including any food. Airport food providers have seen the opportunity and
stepped into the breach. There is some first rate take aboard food
available. The Wolfgang Puck sandwiches we ate 2-3 years ago on the way
from O'Hare to NY were just excellent.

Funny how I'm happy to pay an amount for food to take on the plane with
me that I'd complain about as additional fare for a flight with free food.

Oh, that's right, the free food had been crap for any seat I would buy
for ages. :-)

I did have some memorable meals back in the 70s traveling first class on
business. Although the Canadian wine Air Canada served back then was
crap. The peak was a flight to Chicago catered by the Blackhawk
Restaurant. A chef in whites and toque rolled a silver plated serving
cart with roll-open top (a mini version of the restaurant ones) down the
aisle and cut your prime rib to your order.

Moose