Re: [OM] OM shutter Cocked or Uncocked

Subject: Re: [OM] OM shutter Cocked or Uncocked
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 08:50:13 -0500

> Neither, you should carefully wrap it and send it to me for safe  keeping.
> OK, uncocked.  Bill Barber

The vultures continue to circle...

Actually, this is a very good question and I think we discussed it a couple
years ago.  Can't remember what John's recommendation was.

But, there are two issues:

1. Spring tension.  When cocked, there is pressure placed on the springs
which will eventually stretch them over time.  As these are "spring steel"
in most cases, I don't think it easily deforms, but is possible for
closet-queens.

2. Curtain wrap.  Hopefully John can enlighten us on which position is best
for long-term storage of the shutter curtains.  And a followup question I
have is whether or not storage in the cocked position or uncocked position
would contribute to "flying shutter strings".

For years I tried to always leave the camera uncocked, but it would usually
mean the occasional wasted shot as I would take a garbage shot just to
relieve the spring.  How crazy is that? I think that the most important
thing is that we USE these cameras.  If we are using them, we really don't
have to worry about springs getting weak in long-term storage, curtains
binding up, fungus from growing and a general state of closet odor setting
in.

In reality, I've rarely ever left the camera cocked for long.  In the camera
bag, the shutter-release is usually going to get tripped at some point
anyway.  (resulting in 2-minute exposures of the lens-cap).

AG