Re: [OM] This looks like a deal - 300mm & 100mm Zuiko glass at $299

Subject: Re: [OM] This looks like a deal - 300mm & 100mm Zuiko glass at $299
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 13:11:40 -0400
I don't know, I've never 'bought' the argument about needing certain
equipment to 'look' professional. People who buy my pictures don't care what
I shot them with. The difference between a poser and a (artist,
professional, good photographer, etc) is the images, not the gear.

The first and second points are good ones if you need those features in your
work. I don't cause I never, ever, ever use flash. I never do exposures that
long either. I do make exposures of a few minutes sometimes, but for that
kind of work, I am not shooting any 35mm camera.

If you gotta put the camera on a tripod and use such long exposures, might
as well use the Hasselblad and get medium format image quality. My
Hasselblad is the 503cx, one of the models that is all mechanical and uses
the leaf shutter in the lens. Actually my Hassy does have TTL flash if you
buy one of the flashes that is compatible with it, but I don't have one and
never will (not because I cant afford it, the flashes are fairly cheap used,
but cause I never use flash).

Of course, if you're looking to impress people with the 'best' gear, nothing
beats a Hasselblad, except MAYBE a Leica. I'd rather shoot my OMs than a
Leica though. I think the 3Ti is cool and like I said, I'd use one if it was
free, but if I have to buy gear the 4Ti is a better investment for a person
who has to live off his photo earnings.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography