[OM] Campsite Caper

Subject: [OM] Campsite Caper
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 09:11:26 -0500
Copied from my notebook:

7-22-09
Cased the campground looking for a better site. Sites 62-71 have awesome
views fo the dunes and the mountains to the north as compared to the
woods-bound 47 of which we are currently occupying. We waited till 69
vacated and moved our stuff to it. Got the site for 3 additional nights.

Site 69
N 37 44.886
W 105 30.259

It is sunny and hot - much more than yesterday and we all got burned pretty
bad. As we watched for the vehicle to leave the site (our site 47 was at the
entrance/exit to that loop so we could see everybody coming and going), we
got a couple of things ready to secure it.

Just as we saw the vehicle I jumped into the Jeep and it wouldn't start.
(Cooler had drained the battery overnight). So I grabbed two folding chairs
and ran the length of the campground. Just as I approached the site,
somebody else spotted it and started backing up. But there was one more
vehicle behind them and they had to back up too. I ran past them (more like
staggered by this point--it was up hill and high altitude), and planted my
chairs into the driveway of the site.  Kinda like planting my flag!

(Insert substantial pause for enough oxygen to sufficiently reenter muscle
tissue)

The move of the site was a bit of a a pain, but it was fun carrying the two
tents (one at a time) down the road from our old site to the new one. The
stares and snickers were a little embarrasing, but later when those people
saw which site we had, we were vindicated.

This new site has an unobstructed view of the mountains and dunes and is on
the outer corner so it is pretty quiet and private. The best part is that I
can photograph without leaving the site.

AG