[OM] [OT] Center filters

Subject: [OM] [OT] Center filters
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 18:09:17 -0400
Well, not so fast.  The inverse square law accounts for only  one of
the  cosines in the Cosine**4 law.  I think you are describing the
Slyusarev effect which lens designers utilize to increases the apparent
size of one or both pupils for off-axis points and greatly mitigates
the cosine**4 law.

A second factor that causes light loss off axis is that the lens pupil
is no longer round but elliptical  when viewed from the periphery.  It
also strikes at an angle off axis.  There is additional attenuation due
to the Lambert effect.  I think that makes four, but I am tired after a
long day and a couple hours left to go and can no longer count.

Mike (protégé  of Dr. Focus)

see

http://toothwalker.org/optics/vignetting.html

 have a neat trick where the aperture
> is optically magnified (increasing the apparent size)
> as you move off-axis, it's quite neat to see when looking into the
> front of the lens.

However, this still can't account for the fact that the light has to