Re: [OM] My new granddaughter

Subject: Re: [OM] My new granddaughter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 21:42:24 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I've got it all figured out for you.  You can save the new couple $10,000 by
> shooting the wedding.

ROTFLOL and almost die. No Way!

> Since flash should not be used you will require extra capabilities in low
> light photography.  With the
> savings from not hiring a high end wedding photographer the bride's parents
> will be able to supply you with a new 5D Mk II.

When someplace hot freezes over.  ;-)   If I need a 5DII that bad, I'll
get a job.

> Then, having the 5D and 5D Mk II both in hand you will also be able to do
> "real world" resolution testing of various lenses and see if 21 megapixels is
> really useful.  When do you expect to be able to report back on the results?

I can see myself maybe doing simple testing with a lens or two. I'd
likely mostly just rely on new images of some of my perennial subjects
and how the results look/feel to me.

Seriously, about the wedding ... I can see myself doing what others here
have done, shooting what appeals to me while staying out of the way of
the official photographer and paying attention to enjoying myself. Hmmm,
I might do a bit of video. The 20x stabilized zoom on the Sony videocam
works pretty well. I'm sure there will be plenty of 'phone videos, but a
decent one might be good to have.

Fiance Lauren is an artist and a fashionista of sorts. What she did to
the engagement photos* she posted I will forgive for her other fine
qualities. She's a potential user of "effects" such as Oly has recently
introduced. Hey, maybe they know more with the white cameras and odd
functions that I guessed.

Moose

* Who knew? Yet another way to make getting married expensive. But the
kids are smart, and conned a couple of shooters trying to break into the
game into free shoots they can also use to promote themselves. Good
thing the kids are photogenic. :-)