Re: [OM] Scratches on enlarger Lens? Bah!

Subject: Re: [OM] Scratches on enlarger Lens? Bah!
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 12:11:32 -0500
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Ken Norton<ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I distinctly remember my first post.  I asked about a big honkin Sigma lens
> (50-500, I think) in OM mount and people's opinion of it. The response was
> the sound of crickets.

I think my first question was something like "What's the best one of
the 50mm lenses?"

Do you think maybe that got asked a lot by newbies?

This was after discovering my OM-1 wouldn't work with a winder on the
slow speeds and finding ot about John H.'s existence.  I survived
newbieness (other than the fact that it's sort of a trait of
character) and all's been right with the OM world for me since.  Heh,
I've got two bodies with John right now ...

I miss Les Jenkins, who was funny and very prolific for a rather short
period of time and then just disappeared, although I think he might
have come back as Walt, actually.

The two major crises I recall were the announced end of OM and the
E-system.  The end of OM was anticipated, and grouched about in
anticipation a lot, but when announced it was really just devastating
to a few folks.  Some of these folks dumped their OM gear and moved to
other brands.  It was spooky.

The E-system was a more protracted crisis, still festering I guess.

Complaints and long philosophical arguments about FS posts and eBay
tipoffs added periodic rancor which is hard to imagine now.

In my opinion, every good Zuik is still hoping for an OM-5, along the
lines of Paul Sching's immortal April Fool's post, with optional
digital back.  Bring it on, Olympus.

Joel W.