Re: [OM] Resolution? Which resolution? [was Value for money?]

Subject: Re: [OM] Resolution? Which resolution? [was Value for money?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 19:02:12 -0700
Ken Norton wrote:
> Moose, it all looks plausable, but I don't have a clue what you just said.

ROTFLOL!

I wonder how much I really understood. ;-)

But, points A.1, B.1 and B.4 should be in your wheelhouse, I think.

Actually, I think all my points are probably valid and significant at
the pixel level.  Proving it would range from the difficult:

1. Getting Moose to do tiresome math for free.

2. Getting Moose to pony up for a 5DII before he's ready for actual use
reasons.

3. Getting Moose to do a bunch of tedious test shooting.

To the likely impossible:

1. Getting proprietary sensor site filter transmission data,

2. Finding a method to test its effect on pixel level color accuracy and
the money to try it.

3. Getting Moose to do all that stuff.

Moose is convinced by his own logic and speculations that overall IQ
will continue to increase, albeit subtly, through another round of MP
increases - as long as noise doesn't prevent it. Canon managed to
roughly double pixel count while reducing noise from the 5d to the 5DII.

If they or someone else manages to do the same for 40MP sensors, I'm
betting C.H. is right and that will further improve IQ without
completely outdistancing the better current lenses. (And the great old
MF lenses.)

Moose

Moose