Re: [OM] (OT) Fourth of July Parade

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Fourth of July Parade
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 19:56:17 -0400
I think Moose is largely correct for fill flash.  Generally, you only
want to raise the shadows about 1 stop and that's certainly within the
range of a good digital.  But the decision is not simple.  Having to
adjust all the exposures may be a pain depending on how many there are.
Flash range is another big question.  Something like the Vivitar 283 or
T-32 that didn't have zoom heads are probably maxed out in sunlight by
the time it gets 6-10 feet.  Zoom heads can alter the equation but can't
solve the issue of Moose's last demo image which says "Oops! Real flash
on the girl."  Since the girl is closer she's gonna get more light and a
lot of it.  The inverse square law with respect to flash light is very
unforgiving.  For an environment where you aren't in good control of the
subjects the shadow/highlight control is probably the best bet.

I've been meaning to do some more experimentation on this but keep
forgetting.  Fill flash is never easy outside of a controlled
environment and it's possible to make serious exposure errors that are
hard to detect on the LCD.  But if the camera offers one stop of shadow
detail via shadow/highlight it may be the safest and most effective
course for many situations.

Dr. (sometimes) Flash