Re: [OM] CA and color fringing, was: RANT: Sample images taken with EP-

Subject: Re: [OM] CA and color fringing, was: RANT: Sample images taken with EP-1
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 13:59:40 +0200
Hi C.H. and all,

> From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I don't think bokeh quality is subjective but it is relative, you can say
> there is no lens with bad bokeh just the bokeh of one lens is better than
> the other.

Well, you can't measure bokeh with a number, can you? :-) So it's a
subjective matter. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

> I just
> need a lens that produce "clean" image like the DZ50-200, it has much less
> purple fringe (may be CA too) than my current long Zuikos and the famous
> Tamron 180/2.5.

The Tamron 180/2.5 does have visible CA, axial type -- I have seen it with
film. However, I believe it's a common issue with Internal Focusing lenses.

>> http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Lens-Reviews.aspx
> >>

> > Very interesting link! Thanks a lot!
> >

> In the test site above there are lots of examples showing the CA/Purple
> fringe corrected at stop down.

Yes, that's in the case of axial CA, which with
this target makes the thin black letters look blue-purple. But some
lenses also exhibit transverse CA (lateral colour), which remains
about the same no
matter the aperture.

For instance, in <
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=481&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&LensComp=0&CameraComp=0&SampleComp=0&FLI=0&API=9

if you look at the hollow square at the bottom right, you'll notice that
even at f/16 there's some CA (lateral colour) present, although purple
fringing was gone long ago.

BTW, if this Zeiss lens has the same glass as the older in Yashica/Contax
mount, then for "real life" is an excellent lens, although in
astrophotography is not as good as our beloved Zuiko 85/2... or even the
sultry, four elements Tamron 135/2.5!

Cheers,
 --
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)