Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 17

Subject: Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 17
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 21:16:10 -0700
Dean Hansen wrote:
> Moose recently posted:
>
> I don't know who this little creature is, but I love its outfit.
> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=IATMS&image=_MG_6283crfp.jpg>
>
> Maybe someone here will know. Dean?
>
> Moose has taken a shot of a Syrphid Fly or Flower Fly (family Syrphidae).
> It, well, simply looks like a syrphid fly, at least to an entomologist.

Thanks, Dean! My dad would have known, but has been unavailable for such
questions for a couple of decades.

> ....  Like Moose, I also like its (her) outfit.
> ....  The adults are habitual visitors of flowers and are considered of
> importance second only to some species of bees in the cross-pollination of
> many economic plants."

I've of course read the many doomsday articles about the plight of
honeybees, their keepers and the commercial crops that depend on them.
Given nature's general tendency toward redundancy, I thought wild plants
would probably not be affected all that much. I do indeed see fewer
honeybees in my garden, but there are several other insects that visit
the flowers, as well as hummingbirds. Most enjoyable has been the
increase in big, fat bumblebees.

> I'd say this particular flower fly was simply resting on a plant leaf when
> Moose was able to get his shot.  The rule with any portrait is to focus on
> the eyes.  Moose did just that.  Good job.

Thanks! The fly was flitting around and I waited until it alit for a
moment. 5D AF is good and worked here, aided by f16 DOF. Even if I had
wanted to do MF, the fly would have moved on.

Moose