Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 28/06/2009: red on grey

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 28/06/2009: red on grey
From: Michael Collins <MRC.OlympusList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:12:34 -0400
On 6/30/09 10:38 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> No evidence in our lives that there ever was a war.

I know this was true for the vast majority of North Americans, but a most
shameful part of Canada's past - and America's, to a lesser extent - was the
treatment of families of Japanese origin on the west coast, in the wake of
the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Most of them were Canadian - or American -
citizens. Homes, possessions, fishing boats confiscated and sold off or left
to rot; incarcerated in remote camps; families separated; any rebellious
elements - mostly young men - sent off to separate and harsher camps. And no
restitution at the end of the war.

A formal apology was made in Parliament in 1988, and some compensation
provided. But what happened can't be erased.

Michael