[OM] ( OM ) OT Search engines

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) OT Search engines
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:37:22 +1200
Has anybody else noticed that with the upgrade from Winders MSIE ver7 to
ver 8, the Google search window at the top right has gone?

Replaced with something called "bing".  I conclude that it is the MS search
engine, made to look like Giigle. But the results come out different.

Not that I have much use for MSIE. I use Opera. I observed the switch on
the computers of two friends. Myself, in an attempt to rescue more disk
space, I deleted (uninstalled) MSIE, to discover that winders had two other
copies secreted away in corners of my HD.

I imagine that MS decided to take revenge for Google creating and
marketing its own browser, and also to cash in on whatever  market that
Google is / was tapping into.

I also now understand more fully what Chris Crawford wrote about the
importance of ALT tags for images in pages. A friend went looking for some
of my images, and immediately turned to Google image search to find them.

It had never crossed my mind that a person would do an "image" name
search as I always search for text.
So now I have to revise my (currently 84) image pages further by inserting
ALT tags.  Hmmph!

Cheers

Brian Swale.  Back at home after an epic drive with a detour to Mt Cook..