Re: [OM] E-P1 - rather stiff prices

Subject: Re: [OM] E-P1 - rather stiff prices
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:01:37 -0500

> Thats why I bougth what I have upon entering digital domain.  Dawid
> referred to its cousin the A1 as a p&s digicam...I have the A200 and IMHO up
> until recently it was one of most sophisticated photographic tools on the
> market mainly because of its articulating LCD, the live view and ability to
> see the results in real time (high/low key etc...), spot meter any point on
> the screen by moving a mouse-like cursor and extensive manual controls among
> others.  Its performance and picture quality is up to par with the lower end
> DSLRs from the same era...well, almost:  things change at night... Oh did I
> mention remote control?

And intervalmeter, ability to do live-view over a wireless computer link, an
incredibly sharp lens at nearly all apertures and focal-lengths, a menu
system that makes sense, comfortable grip and control layout, flash-sync at
all essentially all speeds, 3D-matrix metering, and a very very good B&W
in-camera conversion.

I consider its value is mostly in the nostalgia category and as much as it
> hurts to admit, the market is only a small category of peeps old enuf like
> most of us here on the list that had a rangefinder at some pt in life.  Very
> few younger peeps will be lured just because of the quteness factor...or
> just because some old geezer bought it for them...:)

I challenge this assumption based on one fact:  The Chrysler PT Cruiser and
Ford Mustang have been and continue to be strong sellers.  And it isn't just
old people buying them, either.

AG