Re: [OM] E-P1 - rather stiff prices

Subject: Re: [OM] E-P1 - rather stiff prices
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 06:39:21 -0500
On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Robert Burnette
<r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not certain what group Olympus is hoping to embrace the E-P1 and make it
> successful. I feel pretty sure that it's not the average amateur or advanced
> amateur.

It is probably not we salt of the earth OM/SLR guys who will firm up
the market, but Facebook types who think composing with the LCD is
normal.  I suspect among us those who carry P&S cameras as secondary
tools when it isn't possible to carry the larger kit will look at the
E-P closely.

> The E-P1 costs more than the E-620. And as DPreview says, "The E-P1 is,
> essentially, an Olympus E-620 (and by extension an E-30 in most respects)
> crowbarred into a compact, rangefinder-style body." But, live view only.
> IMHO, that sucks in bright sunlight.

Agree completely.  I also suspect the optical VF will hugely
disappoint as one deals with framing/parallax issues.  It seems to me
that the firm market would have to be among the crowd who never grew
up with SLRs but who want better quality than they can get among top
end P&S models.  I bought a C5060 because it had an optical VF and it
was so approximate for framing that I ended up moving to the EVF of
the C8080 -- which is not a picnic but is still better at least for
composing.

> I admit to some nostalgia concerning the Pen series. The Pen FT was my first
> Olympus SLR purchase, sometime in the late 60's. I loved it. I only went to
> the OM-1 because I wanted to shoot slide film. Those little half-frame slides
> were, at times, a PITA. Once I tried the OM-1, I was hooked. The FT went to a
> list member several years ago. I still have the two zooms and the
> bellows/slide copier set. Don't know why. Guess I'll offer them for sale one
> of these days.
>
> I doubt that I'll bite on the E-P1 unless I see it offering more than I do at
> present.

Again, I think we're a tough market, most of us. I truly don't get the
Pen angle, but I suspect it is a superficial likeness at best, and I
still hope Olympus is hugely successful.  It's a case where if I
happen not to be interested, it doesn't mean anything about the
product or chances of success because I just don't think they are
trying to reach me anyway.  When the street prices kick in, I think it
would be a fantastic gift for my son, for example, when he graduates
from college or something like that.

Joel W.