Re: [OM] Packing for two weeks - Going all Rockwell on you.

Subject: Re: [OM] Packing for two weeks - Going all Rockwell on you.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:31:35 -0500

> You don't need all this stuff, and certainly not three 35's. You're
> not doing event photography, so you know you don't need all those zooms!

True.  Zooms are for convenience and general usability in high-pressure
environments.

Do you really need 35mm?? Unless it's specifically your fabvourite
> focal length,

Actually, I think it is.  I really like the focal length AND I use the
35/shift to keep straight things straight.  The 35/2.8 is by far the best
general-purpose lens I've ever had.  But it is a duplication.

Also, after 100mm, just go as long as you can, and you know how much
> you love the 300/4.5 (I do mine).

Interesting.  My 200/4 is a solid performer and I use it all the time.
Fortunately, it doesn't take up that much space (just like most Zuikos) so
it will definitely be included. But otherwise, I agree with you--go long!

> The other option (minimalist) kit is
> 24/2.8 (never leave one's widest lens at home...)
> 35-80 - live with the distortion, everything else is fantastic
> 100-300/4 - covers the rest of the range, and you say it's really
> good, I've never use it

Now that is a fascinating thought.  That really does cover everything and is
quite compact. The 100-300/4, stopped down to F5.6 to F8 is as good as
anything out there in the focal length range, except for Bokeh concerns.
(The Zuiko 300/4.5 is sharper and contrastier wide open and has superior
Bokeh). That would probably make the best "let's go for a walk" kit and I'd
have other items, such as the 35/shift in the Jeep Bag.

As you mention, though, the distortion of the 35-80 is something to consider
and is potentially problematic for some shots. But does eliminate three
lenses. As to closeup in the field, if I don't have the 50/3.5 with me, I
have extension tubes.  Maybe the 35-80 is used for everything that doesn't
need exacting work and for that I'm near the Jeep anyway.

You realize that the easiest thing for me to do us just pack two bags with
absolutely everything.  :)

AG