[OM] He's baaaack!

Subject: [OM] He's baaaack!
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:08:39 -0400
Okay, three days in Acadia National Park, mostly in clouds, fog and
rain. A challenge, yes? (Yes.) I told one interested party that anyone
can take beautiful pictures in Acadia in good weather, but it takes a
real pro to get 'em right in rain and fog. A travel tip (perhaps
stating the obvious): when in a spectacular locale, be really nice to
locals such as waitresses, because they often know good spots that the
other 100,000 tourists stomping around the backcountry don't know
anything about. Even Park Rangers are vulnerable to a dose of
genuinely sincere charm. I chatted up one nice lady Ranger and the
Welcome Center for a few minutes, asking about various places that
might look nice in rain and fog. Apparently my soft Southern drawl
worked. She was extremely cooperative, and after a few minutes said
"I'm not supposed to tell anyone where this is, but  . . ."

And "where this is" turned out to be a most solidly beautiful spot
which I visited twice while on the island. Both times I was utterly
and absolutely alone. The first time I wasn't there long because it
was raining steadily (the AW feature Lowepro brags about works pretty
damn good, BTW). When I came back next morning, I spent a good four
hours, maybe more, at the spot I wasn't supposed to be told about.
Spectacular, just effing spectacular, even in fog and drizzle. I don't
know how the snaps will be, but just being there was enough. I had to
so some scrambling, which my sore hamstring didn't like, but all the
while I was singing badly, "If I were a young man, I could scramble
all the day without pain . . ." <g>

We shall see.

FWIW, my angst about a backup device was for naught. The D3 has two
card slots. I had 4GB in one and 8GB in another, and that's all I
needed. I think I had another 12GB in various size cards in my bag, so
until I got on a really extended trip (or back to Acadia in the kind
of weather I dream of) I think the CF solution is just fine. Will post
a few snaps when I get them sorted and such.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com