Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 11

Subject: Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 11
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 00:54:52 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:
> Very cheerful, Moose.  Thanks.
>
> I don't know whether Californian Poppies are really from California, but they
> are almost as cheerful as those.

They are indeed originally native and endemic to Calif., although now
more widespread. What isn't as well known outside of coastal Calif. is
that they come in colors other than the standard orange/"gold". Near the
coast, at least in the Northern part of the state, they also come in a
lower growing, yellow variety. The orange ones also vary a bit in the
wild, with most orange all over, but darker toward the center and some
leaning reddish in the center.

I've also seen a red variety, which looks in all other aspects just like
the orange ones. I suspect it's a result of selective breeding, and not
originally wild, although one volunteered in our yard. We collected and
spread the seeds, but no luck so far.

Moose